Thursday, December 16, 2010

Soup of the Week

As unreliable as I am, I have decided to post a Soup-of-the-Week recipe, since I end up making one pot of soup every week or so during these winter months.  In summer it was salad, salad, salad - I couldn't get enough.  But now that winter is (almost officially) here, my poor lonely Romaine is wilted with neglect on the bottom shelf of the fridge. During the summer he had a short but happy life with his buddies, Arugula and Spinach, along with their tag-a-longs: Baby Roma, Avocado, Crimini Mushroom, and English Cucumber. They got along well together and ended up in wonderful culinary adventures almost daily, always meeting new friends like Feta and Balsamic Vinegar...But that was summer, and now in the midst of December, soup sounds sooo much more appealing.

So here's to Soup-of-the-Week. I must warn you I am very fickle, this might be the last soup recipe I post. But I sincerely doubt that - my soup craving is too strong to wither in a week, and posting recipes helps me remember them (I have the most awful memory!).

This is Ed's favorite soup, and it's very easy (easy to make even if you're having a sick day- I made some Tuesday when my cold came back).


(The picture is from the internet)

Split Pea Soup with Ham
From the back of the Safeway Green Split Peas package

Makes 6 servings
INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 lbs. ham hocks (about 3)
1-1 1/2 lbs. ham steak, fat removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 bay leaves
3 quarts (12 cups) water
1 lb. split peas, rinsed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
DIRECTIONS:
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over high heat. Sauté onions, carrots and celery until vegetables begin to brown, about 6 minutes. Add ham hocks, chopped ham, bay leaves and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 2-2 1/2 hours or until ham is very tender. Remove ham hocks and bones. Shred meat into bite-size pieces and return to stock. Discard bones.
Add split peas and thyme. Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour and 20 minutes or until peas dissolve and thicken soup. Remove bay leaves. (Soup may be refrigerated for several days or frozen.)

1 comment:

  1. I love your soup idea and I totally understand the great idea and the reality of follow through problem. This week I made a wonderful Belgian Beef Stew for D to have for dinners after working long and hard in the cold and dark. I can't remember the last time I made a stew. I'm in that mode too, now. It's a happy way to spend some time in the kitchen. (my cold from the first part of Nov is still coming and going! Yesterday I even took Benadryl, or the generic equivalent thereof. Ridiculous!) I'm loving your snow background. Your blackbirds on white made me envious. Sometimes, even though you didn't have a new Post, I would come to your Site just to hang out with them... I see a pattern here... and an explanation. :)

    ReplyDelete